For the first time this pandemic, state health officials reported more than 4,000 new COVID-19 cases Saturday. At the current rate of growth, the Sunshine State will cross 100,000 COVID-19 cases on Monday.
The positivity rate among possibly new cases was 12.4% Friday, the highest that rate has been since the state first reported that count in late April. Two weeks ago, that percentage was 2.6%.
“I think that we’ve started to see some erosion in the social distancing from probably some of the younger population,” DeSantis said, adding that DOH would release public service announcements on hygiene.
During a Tuesday press conference, DeSantis told reporters that “we’re not rolling back” reopening progress. Since June 5, Florida has been in phase 2 of three, which includes allowing 100% capacity at retailers and mass gatherings of 50 or less. It also allows bars and movie theaters to reopen, but some chains are still not opening.
Brevard registered 69 additional cases, a new record, for a total of 817 confirmed cases of COVID-19 since the pandemic began, according to Saturday morning’s Florida Department of Health dashboard. Of the cases, 805 are residents and 12 non-residents.
There were no new deaths. In total, Brevard has lost 16 people to the coronavirus. Victims ranged in age from 63 to 94.
The age of those affected range from 0 to 99 and the median age affected in Brevard is 43.
In Brevard, there have been 388 males diagnosed with COVID-19 and 414 females.
As of Saturday, there have been 33,077 tests performed in Brevard, with a 2.4% positivity rate.
As of Saturday, there have been 12,939 hospitalizations since the pandemic began. In Florida, there have been 3,144 deaths, 40 more deaths than the previous day. Overall, FDOH shows 1,562,280 have been tested; 93,797 were positive and 1,467,475 tested negative for the coronavirus. The overall percent positive rate increased to 6%.
Cases by race of residents
Unknown/No data: 116
Cases by ethnicity
Unknown/no data: 124
City by city
Here’s the city-by-city count as of Saturday, although some of these may include unincorporated areas. Note: Per FDOH, these are provisional.
Total number of cases as of June 20: 817
Melbourne: 209, an increase of 14
Cocoa: 160, an increase of 11
Palm Bay: 139, an increase of 13
Titusville: 54, an increase of 3
Rockledge: 50, an increase of 8
Merritt Island: 42, an increase of 3
Satellite Beach: 24, an increase of 1
Cocoa Beach: 21, an increase of 2
Cape Canaveral: 8
Mims: 9, an increase of 1
Indian Harbour Beach: 7
West Melbourne: 8, an increase of 1
Indialantic: 9, an increase of 3
Melbourne Beach: 4
Barefoot Bay: 3
Malabar: 4, an increase of 1
Port St. John: 1
Patrick Air Force Base: 1
Missing information: 30
Within Brevard, these are the zip codes with the most infections, according to the FDOH (data is provisional and subject to change) as of Saturday:
• 32922 with 98 cases. That includes all or parts of Cocoa, Rockledge and Cocoa West
• 32955 with 56 cases. That includes parts of Rockledge, Cocoa, Cocoa West, Viera East and Viera West
• 32907 with 55 cases. That includes all or parts of Palm Bay, Malabar and West Melbourne
• 32940 with 53 cases. That includes all or parts of Suntree, Palm Shores, Melbourne, Viera East and Viera West
• 32904 with 52 cases. That includes all or parts of Melbourne Village, Melbourne, Palm Bay, West Melbourne and June Park
• 32909 with 49 cases. That includes all or parts of Palm Bay, Malabar and Grant-Valkaria
• 32935 with 47 cases. That includes all or parts of Palm Shores and Melbourne
• 32780 with 43 cases: That includes all or parts of Titusville and Port St. John
• 32901 with 42 cases. That includes all or parts of Melbourne, Palm Bay and West Melbourne
• 32926 with 38 cases. That includes all or parts of Rockledge, Cocoa, Cocoa West, Port St. John and Sharpes
• 32937 with 35 cases. That includes all or parts of Satellite Beach, Melbourne, Indian Harbour Beach and South Patrick Shores.
• 32905 with 31 cases. That includes all or parts of Melbourne, Palm Bay, Malabar and West Melbourne
• 32796: 29 cases. That includes Titusville
• 32927 with 24 cases. That includes all or parts of Titusville, Port St. John and Sharpes
• 32908 with 24 cases. That includes Palm Bay
• 32952 with 22 cases. That includes parts of Satellite Beach and Merritt Island
• 32953 with 22 cases. That includes parts of Titusville and Merritt Island
• 32931 with 21 cases. That includes all or parts of Cape Canaveral and Cocoa Beach
• 32934 with 15 cases. That includes all or parts of Melbourne and West Melbourne
• 32903 with 11 cases. That includes Indialantic, Melbourne, Indian Harbour Beach
• 32754 with 9 cases. That includes Mims
• 32920 with 8 cases. That includes Cocoa Beach and Cape Canaveral
• 32976 with 5 cases. That includes Grant-Valkaria, Micco and Roseland
• 32950 with 5 cases. That includes Palm Bay, Malabar and Grant-Valkaria
• 32949 with less than 5 cases. That includes Malabar, Grant-Valkaria and Micco
• 32951 with less than 5 cases. That includes Indialantic, Melbourne Beach and Micco